The Mt Macedon Loop walk is a great one to do, but it can be a bit daunting for those who may not like 16+ km, including the climb(s) and descent(s). So I’ve been planning a hybrid walk, involving a 2-car-shuffle. It’s not that complicated; basically one car ‘up the top’ (on the summit) and the 2nd ‘down the bottom’ (Mt Macedon village)
After putting the cars in their right places:
Car 1 near Memorial Cross
Car 2 in main st of Mt Macedon village, near Douglas Rd
Then off we go, walking unless noted:
- Douglas Road (Mt Macedon village) climbing up to the Memorial Cross
- (Drive, Car 1) Cross to Camels Hump Picnic Ground (PG)
- Explore Camels Hump
- (Drive, Car 1) Camels Hump to Sanatorium Lake PG Car Park
- Explore Sanatorium Lake area
- Sanatorium Lake PG to Zig Zag Track
- Zig Zag to Hempills Track, then down the great Mount Towrong Track to Mt Macedon village (and Car 2)
This is a good compromise. The Car 1 bits are – to be honest – a bit of a drag if done by foot. Pretty much an hour+ of walking on level ground.
Did it today and it works very well. As I only had one car, I got a lift to simulate Car 1 (thank you to the bloke who helped me, if you somehow are reading this!). Walkers really need good boots and a pole or stick to help with the steep, rocky descent of Mt Towrong. But apart from that, I’d vote it a Yes.